GE 2020.

Much as I told myself to keep writing blog/diary as a habit, the frequency of my blog entry has been dropping drastically since last year, and I wonder if eventually it will come to a day that this pill0w.bs gets forgotten completely. I hope the day doesn't have to come, it is as if this blog is the only evidence left that connects my past to the present, the life journey and stories that I have encounter transiting from the then uncaring, bold and curious teenage girl, to a mediocre working class in the pubic service. 

I wanted to pin down some thought on the recent General Election tonight. I think I have been rather apathetic towards local politics, at least until recently. It was really pretty straight forward as a new citizen, I am thankful towards the incumbent government for enabling to achieve what I have today. A generally meritocratic education system, a stable social and economic environment, an affordable housing and 9-5 job that pays on time. 

Then there was a lot of discussions that surfaced online before GE, and it got me thinking and reading a little more. Blank cheque, alternate voice, check and balance, we all heard these terms more than once. And there was some moments of dilemma, what do I choose to believe in and show my support to. Am I well informed on both sides to make a unbiased decision? Perhaps at the end of the day a lot of us are one, or few-issue voters without grasping the entire picture, but how many us can really be political enlightened after all? 

Anyway, eventually the people witnessed the outcome together. A collective signal was sent, the people are ready to step out of their comfort zone this time, despite the pandemic and the chaos in the rest of the world. Perhaps if I had read widely I would understand better, that all political systems have their cycle, the system has to is always changing to remain relevant in different time. I wonder how the next 5 years would be, geographically living under the change I have voted for. Is this for the betterment of the society to progress as a whole? Are we ready for the change? 

Ending tonight resonating with a post I saw online - 'Understanding how we got here is crucially important to understand where we should go from here'. Perhaps not just in local context, I feel like there is just so much more to learn about the world and how and why everything is the way it is. 

It's not too late to start reading Junting.

Comments

Popular Posts