Education.

Just the sudden urge of feel like blogging, about something that has been revolving me almost my whole life,
As stated by the title, yeah,education. It's only after twelve years of schooling that I finally understood what exactly is education and why am I, why are we in it. 
It's strange that I din't question anyone why am I studying or what for I'm studying before this,
it's just the norm. I mean like, everyone around me is studying therefore I am too. Simple as that.

So recently I started reading on the topic "education", partially preparation for the upcoming CT1.
Through countless essays I've learn that the two main functions of education is to develop manhood and develop manpower.
It was then made known to me that the education system are ought to make us intellectual individuals,gain psychological maturity in terms of balance between ability to think rationality and ability to feel emotions,and last but not least, the emphasis on new liberal education that's more common rather in the Western world.

But as I read on, questions just pop out along the way. I felt like, what's written in these books are so untrue. Perhaps a bit extreme. But seriously, this whole damn education system many countries have adopted, ( or at the very least, in Singapore ) is totally making us to conform to society, learning for the sake of a cert that eventually get us a job, where is the individuality, where is the so called "education help people to develop mentally, physically and morally"? 

 True enough that being literate made me understand the world better, it made me wants to read,
talking about that recently I'm in love with going to the library cause of the wide range of books you can find there. From geography to history to photography to wildlife to travel guides. And when I talk about geography and history here is not like those textbooks or case studies. It's genuinely the stuff I'm interested to know. I'd love to admit that reading enriches one's life and broaden one's mind. You get to see beautiful landscapes of places you never knew existed in this corrupted world, you learn and be fascinated with the habitats and behaviours of adorable animals living on this planet,

And that is exactly how I feel education should truly be. One should not be forced into learning science subjects like physics, chemistry or biology just for the sake of grades. True that we should learn about how the world goes around but if the student has absolutely no interest in that particular subject, what's the point of making him or her memorise those theories and just regurgitate everything during the exam? And you guys call it "application"? I doubt this is really so.
Sorry about this but, sigh. Electric field tutorial just killed me today, it's the root of all evil I swear.
Doing physics tutorial is the most painful task everyday to me.

So where was I. A'right personally I'm more leaning towards liberal arts I guess. Or maybe everyone is?
I mean like, philosophy, human mind, social behaviour are so much more interesting to learn. Yet when it comes to choosing of course in Uni, the faculty of social science seems unlikely for me.
I hate myself for being like this, ( okay we shan't use the word hate, I just dislike this side of me. )
Recently, okay Wednesday I chose to went for the social work career talk in school, and I was then briefed about job of a social worker, basically his job is about helping those who approach him for help, not much like a counsellor but a advisor, like telling the clients where he or she can seek help from. The starting pay was rather good, I mean higher than accountancy, with a basic pay of $2.9K, sounds great right?
But as he go on, I found myself detesting the job and it starts to get "boring', it's more of like, I can do that in my leisure time ( If I have any to begin with next time ), but as a lifelong career? That's a big no. The high pay rate is somehow like a compensation for taking up the job cause most people don't want it.
Oh well human beings.

Kay post getting very long winded now. Ending off soon.
There's one thing I don't get about education. They made us learn made us think and claims to enable us realise our potential, but this society is making most of us so timid that we don't dare to be different.
Here I truly respect those who are daring enough to stand out from the rest and pursue their dreams, be it succeeded or failed, I admire their courage for doing so. And I wish them all the best with their life. On the other hand, for me personally, I feel that it's not that much of not dare to be different, but rather tends to think to highly of myself. Like, unwilling to "sacrifice" my so called "intelligence" for a job that need not require a high qualification. It's like I have so much interest in being a wedding coordinator and I'm even willing to take up all the hardships, but being in the so called good college is making me stay away from going into that career. The asshole mindset of but-it's-such-a-waste-if-I-just-be-a-wedding-coordinator, sigh. Why must think this way? ):

Honestly what do you call a successful education for a kid?
Do you call those highly paid office worker successful? Or do you call those biochemist who gave up the monetary aspect and became farmers successful? If we are really taught to realise what our dreams are and chase after it so that we will be happy in life. Why is there so many factors stopping us from who we really want to be inside? Why must we earn a lot of money and compare of life with people around us? Sigh I think I sound like a spoilt brat now. Should just stop questioning, understand the way the world works, and still love it. After all, there is always hope.

Okay the whole point here is not trying to criticise the education system, anyway I'm in no position to do so neither, there must be a reason behind the government for adopting education systems like this, and what's more there are million of elites who might have already been criticising it everyday. Who am I to give a say. Just, saying what's on my mind though :) Maybe my mindset will change again soon, after enough readings. And that's what I love about reading books, it makes me wiser, or at least feel like more intelligent. :D


Just end off with a short comic I saw on 9GAG ( been trying to not get addicted to it cause,
limited time everyday but unlimited amount of work, need to make sacrifice and 9GAG is definitely first to be eliminated. Since I gain nothing much from it after all. Need.spend.time.wisely.on.enriching.stuffs.)
It kind of touches my heart and made me think a lot despite I'm not a Christian.
True enough that we all ought to be contented with our life and stop complaining, it would been worse seriously, all the people out there should just stop FML everyday, it gets on my nerves when I see people, especially my friends FML-ing. But once again, not in any position to judge. (': I still love the other good sides of them.



发觉你把我从QQ上删了,删了也好,不见不念,少点烦恼,祝你一切顺顺利利。

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sociology is not limited to social workers only. You can always choose to go the liberal arts route, there are more choices to explore more things.

Since we're in this system there's no way to run around it.We have to do what we have to so that we can do what we want to. Make lemonade.

Also, don't stop questioning. It is the only thing that keeps us challenging the status quo, making us become better. If you didn't know already, TED.com has a huge number of talks that are entertaining and interesting. (can improve GP too!)Think you'd enjoy that. Don't let your education dictate your learning. :)
Junting ❀ said…
Thank you for all these words, (: you sounded like a teacher somehow, well I do watch TED on a daily basis, but that was during the holiday.Sadly I stopped from the start of J2, have been wasting way too much time on social networks. sigh. I should just totally agree that we, or atleast myself is enslaved by technology now. too much twitter and 9gag, just leaving my economist aside to let it rot. damn, kay shall stop here before i start ranting about everything. not being able to sleep at night tends to make me pessimistic about everything. Good night.

Popular Posts