PART 4: RENOVATION

(nest in a mess with wet works in progress)

Opps! It's been four months since my last update on our home! And again I am astonished at how all these seemingly long wait actually went by. Oh wells, so we had our two appointments with HDB in late April and June, while sourcing for a suitable contractor concurrently. We met up 2 main contractors (One of which recommended by my pole friend, and the other which my mum engaged for our Sengkang unit), as well as a number of sub contractors to come down and quote. It was a tough call between the two Alan ( what are the odds that they have the same name ), but we eventually went with my pole friend's main con because the other quotation came back as $6k higher (Even though we have to agree that he seemed more meticulous and precise when it comes to measurement). But Moolah is eventually what made the cut so Alan Tan it was! ( Who we often referred to as 小陈 later, even though he should really be a 老陈 instead and every time I see him, he reminds me of Ali's dad HAHAHAH 憨厚老实 look~ ) We were quoted close to $23K when we seal the deal but as we made some changes here and there along the way, we are guessing it will go up to a whooping $28k Ohwell, such is budgeting for renovation.  

(makeover to open kitchen eventually)

Anyway! We are 5th week into our renovation now and it's projected to finish in about another week or so, which is fairly on time given 小陈 promised it will be done in 6 weeks ( Though at the beginning I was hoping that they can finish ahead of schedule because I simply felt our scale of change wasn't very big but alas, at the later part I realize that was a big fat dream and I should be damn happy now that it's almost on schedule, almost. ) The journey has been quite a pleasant one in general I feel. Despite some typical hiccups like the tiles we selected was Out of Stock, unclear measurements taken, empty promises on work progress and miscommunication with carpentry. In fact carpentry gave us quite a bit of headache and shock too because of the miscomm. But on the other hand, we were spoiled with wonderful workmanship and skills when it comes to tiling, plumbing and electrician work. Very detailed and dedicated sub cons under 小陈~ 

   
 (Common toilet L & Mbr toilet R with overlay floor & wall tiles )

Like everything else, renovating my own home evokes an unique and special emotions within. At the start of the renovation, I remember heading down everyday, spending hours in the work in progress unit, watching how things change slowly but surely everyday. Guess partially I was very worried for major hiccups, though thankfully there wasn't. Though I have to agree that it makes a different to head down to inspect at the end of everyday so that I can report anything to the main con to rectify before it's too late. Like how the kitchen entrance was too small, how the tiler laid the tiles wrongly, or the handle of door was wrongly installed, or the positioning of lights wasn't up to my expectations. These period I started reading short posts on #dayrehomes pretty diligently and occasionally I can't help but to feel thankful for the work we are receiving. Though the downside of it from seeing other houses complete and move in one after another is me keenly hoping for faster progressions with my own every single day.

This whole renovation journey once again revealed how indecisive I can get with choosing of tiles designs and wall paint colors. At the back of my back, there is almost an alarming voice that warns me to choose very very carefully because This-is-for-life HAHAHA, okay maybe not a lifetime that's too long but the idea is there. But as the house comes together, I think our choice of selections hasn't cause major regrets except that the tone of blue for guest room wasn't the kind I envisioned it to be. And also I'm a little worried if the kitchen laminate I chose was a little over. But it is what it is, I will love them all I hope. Since the renovation started in late June, Lnr and I spent most of weekends on renovation related errands apart from his lil Kopitiam to take care of. Guess things would be much more hectic and rushed if I weren't unemployed still since the start. Guess you don't always get the best of both world, let's just settle the renovation smoothly first before worrying if we are in any financial difficulties afterwards supporting our nest with the hobo me keke.

(Taobao loots part 1, fittings in house for renovation)

Taobao has been the magic word for our renovation, we spent roughly $7k taobao-ing about 150 over items for our nest, which ranges drastically from big items likes Tv console Sofa Dining table to kitchwares like Microwave Airfryer Ricecooker down to smaller decorative items like wall frames bra holders hangers and even toilet bowl brush~ I am quite confident in taobao in terms of both durability and trustworthiness given my well, years of experience in Taobao-ing way before it was so convenient like nowadays. So thankfully our first bath of Taobao loots arrived in good shapes on the 2nd week of renovation which consists of the lightings, basin tops, curtains and some shelves for the house. To which we were contemplating to buy toilet bowl on Tb at the start but the idea was called off cause we were a little concern with the fittings and quality. Don't want to have shit everywhere in the toilet man~ 

( 80% of the carpentry in the house goes to our Mbr, Hola platform bed!)

Alrightie, guess it's time to stop here for now, and I will continue with part 5 when our renovation is complete with the taobao batch 2 in place. Less than 3 weeks to our projected moving in~ I am done packing my belonging from home, which sums up to about 5 boxes worth of things and a few big items. All's left are our things at LNR's place, hope it will be manageable and that we have adequate storage space in our nest. Which I think shouldn't be much of an issue because it's after all.... a 4 room flat just for the two of us for the time being????

YAY EXCITED MUCH. SAYO.

Comments

Popular Posts