Enchanted rings;


Today marks the second monniversary of my wedlock with Lnr, and I thought that it would be great to talk a little about the origins of our rings. It was quite an unconventional journey given that we sealed the deal for our Wedding bands before the Proposal ring was even sourced. Well again, we have been kinda uncustomary all along anyway.

Everything begun pretty much the Singaporean way when the issue of BTO application was brought up between us, as early as Feb, that was like three months into dating each other and I had no idea where this bold idea came from. Sometimes I wonder that apart from Lnr's age (hence financial capability) that played a dominant role, what magic did Lnr cast such that I got the 'hey he must be the one' message back then. Anyway, we applied our first flat together in May (though we were outbid by Aug) and began our ring hunt since then. Having said that, the idea of proposal was no longer a secret or when but how as we were looking around together. It was a moment of feeling really grown up as I first stepped into jewellery shops, and we started showing ourselves in most shops you would come across in malls. 


I figured that I am really a fastidious picker when it comes to rings, or maybe it's a common woe for many. I was getting all excited over choosing my own ring since it's no longer meant to be secret. And given that it's considerably a significant personal belonging, I set out pretty clear directions after much deliberations; a rose gold, thick band without solitaire. Reasons simply being I've heard enough stories of De Beers marketing gimmick of 'a diamond is forever'; I felt that my fingers ain't elongated so a thicker band suits better and I have always had a thing for rose gold, despite its future value is low from the impurities. Not that it mattered a bit because selling/pawning it away will never cross my mind. But who knows that finding something that meets my eye could be so damn difficult HAHAHA. Or is this rather obvious?    

Anyway here is a short story of a ring that could have been the one but never happened. For a period of time during the search I have set  my eyes on this interesting interlinking Cartier ring. And thus Lnr started his search across Singapore, which it turns out that it's out of stock and a wait of three months was needed. It so happens that he was away in Korea for two weeks back then so he checked there out and it is too, unavailable. I can't recall too well what happened then, maybe we dropped the idea, or we continued hoping, but everything regarding it came to an end on an ordinary day at my internship with NUSS, where I unintentionally noticed an interesting ring that my colleague was wearing, her then-boyfriend customized it at Fairy's Inc. The ring incorporates the initials of their names P & S into the band setting which sounded really lovely and so very unique. I guess most people would prefer things to be personalised when it comes to such private affair and so did I. A quick glance at their website and I knew that we definitely have to pay a visit to the place. And things took off very well from there, we started brainstorming with one of the designer - Sandy almost immediately on our first visit and got the deposits paid. Such swift actions. Anyway, most of their settings are really whimsical and enchanting. Ugh oh so lovely just to revisit their website again now.

And the rest is history. I bashfully requested the side view of the ring to look like Totorooooo upon seeing some inspirations online. And added some rustic settings on the ring with the aid of tiny coloured diamonds, the width was widened with another twine ring joint by three small Susuwatari ( Black soots found in My neighbour Totoro ). A piece of leave was also added on the top left head to imitate the classic Totoro look in the movie. Everything was perfect, at least to me. And upon stepping out of the shop, there was only one thing on my mind: money really does wonderful thing HAHAHAHAHA. 


And there it is on my fourth finger most of the days after the proposal last Sep, literally one of a kind I guess. Since not many people are crazy enough to make their ring into a Totoro. I did wonder if I will feel ridiculous twenty years down the road but who cares, let me live in the moment for the time being teheh. May it stays with me throughout as Lnr and I continue to embark on our marriage. And perhaps very soon, I should get ready to blog about our biggest purchase in life - our little nest~



Comments

Popular Posts