NIHON WANDERLUST.

Back to Singapore after wandering around since the final paper three weeks back~ Spent a wonderful week in Japan and another in Taiwan, seen much beautiful natural sceneries and once again, immersed in different cultures and ways of living of others. And all these left me with soooo much to remember and blog about now and I shall while they are still fresh in my mind.   

Alrightie, so here begins our very first trip together~ It was somewhat finalized last minute though not impromptu since we did have some thoughts about it some time back. Glad to have most things settled just days before the trip, and we were off to land of the rising sun almost immediately after my last paper. Learnt many new things along the trip, and #1 begins with acknowledging that food will always be catered in airport lounges, never go for a meal right before that and always allocate time to make use of everything inside. Ohwell, the world is big and there is just too much for me to learn, learning everyday through mistakes hahahaha. It's taking me a while to decide on the configuration of this post since it's too long a trip to talk about every single detail everyday, and I'm over the phase of trying to contribute back to society by doing travel-logues for the beneficiary of others. Guess I will just note down the more memorable ones for my personal recollections. :)   


First thing first from Toyko, squeezing with the working crowd during peak hours at the most crowded interchange in Shinjuku was definitely something unforgettable. It's all so real, all the hilarious looking videos you may chance upon on social medias, people squeezing themselves in with all their might, pushing and getting squashed, just as I thought the train has reached it's maximum carrying capacity, the squeeze has yet to begin. I literally felt like I was being compressed into a 2D graphic during the ride. It reached the stage that I can't move an inch at all, not even my hands, but one thing to not worry that I will never fall, since there simply isn't any luxury of space for me to. Can't help but to wonder what happens to children or pregnant ladies who happen to take the train during peak hours. It was a traumatising yet fascinating experience for me, though I wouldn't want to get onto that train ever again. Just couldn't stop giggling throughout the ride with my amusement at the power of Tokyo train squeeze amid the entire solemn-looking cabin. And it was only after a few stops when the crowd became lesser that we manage to capture this memorable moment. And with that, I give my sincere gratitude to SMRT & SBS that despite the occasional breakdowns, I don't have to endure such squeeze even at its worst back home. :') 



We stayed in a very cozy, compact and tidy airbnb apartment near Shinjuku, though we had some doubts with our directions on the first day, it turns out pretty easy to locate as we get more familiarized with the surrounding.  Although I guess I set a prime example of the stereotypes of 'girls have no sense of direction', right, I will take time to debunk this myth someday hiakhiakhiak. Didn't snap a photo of the apartment but here's the serene morning view the next day, woke up just in time to catch the sunlight slowly engulfing the city. Released our inner child on the second day to DisneySea, unlike the signature DisneyLand and castles, DisneySea builds around the theme Ports of call, creating a more adventurous and discovery aura targeting at adults audiences. And that's where I met the huge woody huehuehue, although we didn't see the woody mascot or I would have eloped. In fact we didn't see any mascots walking around though I thought they could have implemented that. 


Experience from Tokyo DisneySea is that the queue get insanely long as the day passed, we definitely couldn't finish everything even with their FastPass system ( which I think is pretty good, to offer FOC FastPass option so that you don't have to waste time queuing ). We might have been able to take a ride more or two but we ( or maybe just me hahaha) decided against standing in the cold for two hours just for a ride. And at the end of the day Disney is never the right place for thrill and fast rides, it's more of meant for the Disney atmosphere and experience. So yeah, had a good day still with my good pal Mike, seeking shelter in the cave like refugees in the late evening against the cold wind while waiting for the Christmas light up show. Lesson #2 learnt in the trip is to always always make it a priority to keep your body warm while travelling in a cold country, to stand fearlessly against the harsh wind at night. And also I hope there will be some occasion again that I can be James again hahaha, instead of a fate of staying in the wardrobe for the rest of his life. :')


Granted that the pulsating vertical neon lining on the main streets in Tokyo is a quintessential Japanese spectacle, I personally enjoy the countryside places more, perhaps growing up in a modern city like Singapore, I subconsciously seek for something different elsewhere. Spent a night in Hakone, a mountainous town known for its Onsens (hot springs) and Mt Fuji view. It's a wonderful scenic town where we met a really helpful lady at the tourist information counter, although we got delayed a little due to our lil Onsen experience which led to our subsequent missing of several transports, still made it to our Japanese Ryokans for the night. And that goes to #3 lesson learnt when travelling during winter season, bear in mind that sun sets at 4 and always take note of the transport schedule to not ended up stranded in a cold and dark place~ 


Staying in a traditional Japanese inn for the night was quite something as well, sleeping on mattress on tatami floor, though I had this initial uneasiness when I step into our room hahahaha, feeling a little restricted in a traditional setting like this, and also it reminds me of one of the themed lockdown room I went. But all's good in our Yukata (bathing robe) roaming around the inn~ I could however, never been able to stay in Onsen for too long since the first time I tried in Taiwan, I probably enjoyed the process of washing more than the soaking for it reminds me sooooooo much of my imaginary friend, Maruko's life. Taking the pail of water and splash onto myself feels much more satisfying than using the shower head, don't ask me why hahaha. And going for an Onsen experience when it's cold outside is definitely worth trying! The perfect combination of hot and cold all at once. 


Woke up to another day just beside a crater lake, or so I assume since we are sort of on a mountain, witnessed some interesting Superboat race / practice by the lake. It always feels so good to wake up close to nature somehow, the refreshing feeling to kick start the day. Perhaps Singapore isn't the right place to be for my retirement plan down the road hahaha. Popped to our one and only Shrine visited during the trip with Toriis (traditional Japanese gate) everywhere, as much as I love exploring the nature, religious culture in different countries seldom catch my eye though it's always good just for the experience, similar to visiting grand cathedrals in Europe or Bhudda temples in Thailand.   



Tried to localize by Monkey-see-monkey-do at the Shrine, got ourselves a slip of fortune telling ( I suppose) that we completely don't understand. Well shall keep it till I decipher it someday. Got ourselves a pair of lover's charm at the shrine, must be some marketing and tourism gimmick hahahaha well, cheap thrills in life. And who knows maybe the charm is in fact blessing us in secrecy.    



Had to feature this simply because it is Mt Fuji, the Fuji San that everybody knows and talks about despite being just a mountain among a range of mountains surrounding it. Glad that we made it before the sky darkens or that the Ropeway stops operating. Seems like many times during the journey we are trying to race against time hahahaha, part and parcel of travelling during winter season maybe. It's all experience gained. Okay back to Fuji San, hmm didn't feel that it was very extraordinary or spectacular, at least not as much as the Maple trees I seen later during the trip. But it is indeed very easily recognized by it's snow-covered tip, gentle slopes, which made it stands out form the rest. 同山不同命 man.   



Moving on, here is the most beautiful and spectacular place I have been to for the trip personally, I just love the mixing of the colors so so much. It was a impromptu trip to the Japanese garden and I'm just so so glad we chose to come by here before the trip ends. A pity that I didn't spot any perfect maple leave to bring it home but I recalled how a friend of mine told me that Our eyes captures the best photos, many times in our life we raised our phones before even appreciating the real beauty with our eyes, fair enough that people want to capture the moment and make it forever but I guess I have my way of living in the moment. But yeah, it was a real nature beauty in the lil garden. 



That sums up our Nihon getaway perfectly. But what is Japan without mentioning the food! I love all of them and we definitely tried to have a taste of different food for every meal, from Jap Curry rice to Ichiran ramen, Udon to Yakitori, different rice balls and plums from 7-11, instant noodle to Mos burger, Okonomiyaki to Ippudo, but nothing, absolutely nothing beats the best Tonkatsu (pork cullet rice) I had in life at Maisen, I will be back Tonkatsu San, someday I will be back for your taste. :')  It has redefined my value for deep fried pork cullet, seeing it from a complete new light hahahaha. To contradict myself a little, I felt a little bad that I didn't feature a proper photo of the best Tonkatsu but well, it all over the internet anyway. And also food wise, I had the sweetest and juiciest strawberries that I have not tasted for many years, it was so good that I could sense how good it was just by smelling the scent of it while others ate it. And also lastly, featuring my new found love at a line shop ohoho. 


It was an eye-opening trip for me, while we were in the city it feels like living in an anime world sometimes, realizing how strangely familiar everything was around me, as if I have been to the place already; Mountainous town slowed down our pace, a very tranquil and calming place to be in, It's really fortunate of us to experience a little of both sides during the trip, though Japan is probably much bigger than what we have seen, but this is way good enough for the trip. :) Almost missed our flight back due to a 1.5hr train delay, but once again met helpful attendant who led us to the boarding gate straight, furthermore all these mad rush was compensated by the clear night sky with millions of visible stars surrounding the plane during the flight back, and that was probably the closest I can get to those stars, thirty thousand feet above the ground.


As Mark Twain said, there is no sure way to find out whether you like them or hate them than to travel with them. And I have to agree to it hands down, if you really want to know someone better, travel together It's not only spending a lot of time together, but it's also a time that is particular revealing of a person. I guess we both see each other out of our routines, away from the usual comfort zone, I'm glad how we shrug off things easily when things get stressful, find the humor in it and still managed to have a good time everyday. It was never anything grand that buy over a lady's heart I guess, it is always the small little details, may be just a word of concern, may be just an insignificant initiative, may be just a gentlemen gesture, as the small things accumulates, one day it eventually melts the entire heart. Thank you for everything, and for being truly amazing so far. Till our next trip, Mike. :)

Yours sincerely,
James. 

Comments

Popular Posts