November

I love Novembers. 

I love how the rain splatter onto the windows; the thunderous sound from afar; the cold feeling in the air; the freshness after the rain when I step out of the house; I even love how unpredictable yet expected the rain comes every day. 

I remember how I stick my face by the window when I was much younger, looking out of the window in amusement. I remember playing in the rain after PSLE at the playground beside Tps. I remember the few occasions I walked in the rain during secondary school days. I remember sharing umbrellas with 940 and chua walking down the ahs hill. 

November has been hitting the right note for me this year. And yesterday was definitely a good day to remember, for the very first time in history, I got back a A and 3 A- grades in one day. Something that I have never even dreamt of so far. It was definitely a moral boost to push myself forward for the remaining weeks, haven knows how pessimistic I was with my academic outlook this semester. :') I would be an idiot if I don't maximize the remaining time I have got to pull my Cap this sem. Pretty glad as well to have gone for two career talk some times back to get a clearer general direction of my career. Life's passing by fast. 

As November comes to an end, my Year 3 Sem 1 will be over as well. General reflection, no regrets in picking the modules I am taking now, except I have to admit that I'm struggling bits and pieces with Service economies, guess economic geography is not my cup of tea. Nature and society has been very engaging, widening my scope on many pre-existing issues covering nature-society relationships, meat consumptions and animal-society relationships, lucky to have a funny dude as the professor for the module, making a seemingly philosophical and sophisticated mod much less tedious. Government and politics of Singapore was equally informative, complements the General Election period in Sep, and definitely give me a better understanding of the domestic politics arena. Changing global economic landscapes provides really amusing insights as well on many concurrent issues touching on human trafficking, international education, drugs, tourism and financial circulation. Although I have just break my personal record of not attending a single lecture for the modules the entire sem, but I did enjoy it as much. Okay I shall admit that I adore the mod largely because of the lenient marking schemes, the two A- from the module was definitely a Godsent, considering the pathetic amount of time I have invested go about doing the assignments :') Lastly, geographies of developments gave me a very wide scope on the pursue of developments in different parts of the world, the political agendas and the question of development for whom eventually. 

All in all, after yet another semester spent in geography, I'm getting more in love with my major. Or rather a complicated love-hate relationship with it at times. From my initial embarrassment when people ask about what am I studying, with myself at a loss to how to explain what geography in university teaches, to getting more exposed and better grip of the major and explaining to others with a feeling of fondness to what I am learning. Should I have not picked Geography, I might not know about the 'underclass of the society', the power relationships, and all in all, to understand the world in a different light. Academic values aside, geography has taught me to treat the world with kindness, to shape me into someone who do not pursue after solely economic goals, to question everything around and not follow blindly, to live a more humane life. For that, I hold no regret in choosing geography, ever. :) 

And seems like the rain has just stopped in time for me to get back on track for the last dash of the semester. All's well.  And November shall remain as my favourite month of the year. :)


Comments

Popular Posts