soccer


Like everything else, soccer has come to an end too. Blatant as the truth is, it wasn't a great pleasure to take on the captaincy, even though I did indeed learn a few valuable lessons from it. But in all honesty, I'm so fucking glad it's over now. It was my first leadership role, and I'm more than happy that it has come to an end now, humans just have endless ability to disappoint others.

It was a disheartening journey, when people do not reply in the chat for attendance, when people drop last minute text coming up with all sorts of reasons and do not turn up, and there will always be people who fall sick just so coincidentally an hour before training, how strange. The attendance gets so bad throughout that I felt like I have cancelled almost half of the training when the turnouts are pathetic. I will not deny that I lamented my job and it's true that I have always been ranting to people all these while, counting down to the number of training left to my step down.

Henceforth I concluded two valuable lessons I have learnt from the short five months of organising a team of people:
1. You can't impose your standard onto others and assuming that that's their way of life too. It was clear to me since I first joined Sheares in 2013, that I will not join anything that I can't commit fully to, because I think to take up anything, it becomes a responsibility to turn up for it, if not don't bother. Apparently this has not been widely promoted here, people come and go as and when they want, there is absolutely no sense of commitment, except for one player in the team, which I'm truly thankful for her presence all these while.
2. You have to control your temper when people constantly disappoint you. There were many times that I get so upset with the poor attendance and I felt a surge of anger whenever I have to cancel training, especially when the team themselves opt for the training time and then it's the same group of people that throw out shit excuses when training falls. In all honestly I was close to throwing a fuck y'all in the chat umpteen times, but to think back I'm glad I hold myself back and did not act rashly. Some words, once said, can never be taken back.

And those are the downsides, but I'm also sincerely thankful for people who helped me, people who volunteered to sacrifice their free time to come down all the way to help us - the coaches. It could be out of their passion for soccer, or any other reason it could be, I'm so thankful for their heartfelt contributions and the help they offered throughout, they did not complain when people do not turn up, they constantly encouraged me and assure me that I have been doing a great job, and especially coach David who have been teaching me a lot of soccer techniques along the way. These are the people I'm truly grateful for having. People who commit and do not just turn their back away halfway.

To conclude, I simply can't hide my joy that it has all come to an end last Sunday, did not manage to shoot in any goal still but I'm still thankful that some, some but not all, put in their all and we fought to the end, thank you for being part of the team. Panggang lor! :')

Comments

Popular Posts