Humanity.

And there goes October, as I finally lay my fingers back onto the keyboard after almost a month.
In this month, very much accounted to my module, I grew yet another understanding of the migrant workers in Singapore. Theories aside, as much as I could comprehend the rationale behind the state to impose laws and regulations that view the migrant workers as a 'transient workforce' in Singapore, I can't help but to feel sense of sympathy towards them, how that the mindset of 'others' is instilled in the locals' mind, viewing them as dangerous beings and regular control is reinforced. The kind of unfair treatment often disgusts me, for if you are local or Caucasians, and you sit along the side of the HDB blocks nobody will blinks an eye, but once being identified as a migrant worker, the police would come up to chase you away. While the state advocates equality, meritocracy and racial harmony, I certainly do not see such tolerance within the people. And I wonder where such sense of superiority within the people comes from. I'm not any knowledgeable but I do know that without them, who will be there to build the high rise buildings? How would Singapore's economic then progress without the rich physical amenities that build a cosmopolitan-like global city image for Singapore?

And looking at them, I thought of myself. How I could have otherwise been despised, been treated differently if I did not assimilate into the society? For years I hear people around me mimicking the Chinese accent and make a joke out of it. People who don't bother to understand other's behaviours or actions but merely laugh it off when it does not coincide with their own. While I am certain to say that I have at least one precious friend who would still be my friend no matter how, I could never be sure for the rest, not even Tan. And here I wish that people could be more tolerative, be more open minded with other people's culture, to criticise less and be more appreciative. It's the change I wish to see, but what can I do to be that change?  

To end off, commemorating a short video Tan did for our presentation. Just so that years down the road I might cross path with this post again and rewind how I felt back then.



Comments

Popular Posts