Work and strive, but accept.




Recently I'm fortunate enough to read a book on the life of an incredible woman who only had one year of health remaining after diagnosed with ALS, and I would love to quote the summary from the back of the book and recommend it to everyone out there; 


'In June 2011, Susan Spencer-Wendel learned she had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)—Lou Gehrig’s disease, an irreversible condition that systematically destroys the nerves that power the muscles. While Susan cannot stop the rapid decline of her body and her inevitable death, she refuses to give up on life. A woman of immense strength and indomitable spirit, the forty-five-year-old mother of three has made every day count.

She took up seven trips with the seven most important people in her life - to the Yukon, Hungary, the Bahamas, and Cyprus. She went to the beach with her sons and to a bridal shop in New York City with her teenage daughter, Marina, for a glimpse of the wedding she will never attend. 

She also wrote this book, tapping it out letter by letter on her iphone using only her right thumb, the last finger still working.'

I love it, it's both heart-breaking and heart-warming. And it made me stop to think, that how wonderful it is to be alive, that my body are functioning so fine, that I'm able to move my fingers and toes, that I can swim run jump if I want to. People have often indulge in too much wants and such desire for more things is like a bottomless pit, such an incredible life story at this timing reminds me to dwell my days in gratitude, while living with wonders and love. And just sharing my favorite quote from the writer;

"Because I did not have expectations. I guess that's a lesson, if there must be one. Accept the life that comes. Work and strive, but accept. Don't force the world to be the one you dream."
- Susan Spencer Wendel.
I can agree to this no more. Many times in life we are caught in predicaments we wish we could change, but we aren't Gods. We may try and do what we can to change the situation, but at the same time, we have to accept reality. I guess it applies to most things in life, if not all. ;) 

Comments

Popular Posts