The start of internship.

Oh yes, that's me. 
That's exactly my predicament as of earlier today. Stress die pillow has been doing proposal template the entire day today after the first draft was disapproved yesterday. A piece of good news is that after much research on the search engines, I manged to squeeze out draft two earlier on. All there's left to do is to have my fingers crossed, hoping that the in-charge take his own sweet time to skim through it such that I've more time to rest my brain before it will be disapproved the second time, most likely. This whole process reminds me so much of the project work days in J1, and little did I realize that this is in fact the only thing that I can relate to work from all the past  years of studying. Well you see, it's really two entirely different thing. It's been argued that the process of study is ought to train up our thinking skills and thought process so as to prepare us for workplace in the future, but that's just what they claim to be. 

Right, sorry for the blunt start of this post. Just to update I've been going to Ministry of social and family development since this week and today is the fourth day of work. It's located in a far far away place from home and I spend an approximation of three hours on transportation everyday. I would say that monetary wise the internship pays really little, barely six hundred a month. Let's not include the FOC OT sessions on Friday nights for meetings, Saturday mornings,(which severely disrupts my tuition schedule, aka my only source of allowance.), and sometimes, even Sunday afternoon. On top of that, please don't remind me the horrendous adult fares which adds up to at least one hundred a month, and eating out everyday, as well as the crazily priced office wears I'm obliged to wear to work. 

Okay, so those are the bad points about the intern. Which honestly speaking, it comes with a high opportunity cost. Yet again nothing in this universe  is absolute, there's always two sides of a coin. The colleagues are really nice and friendly, to my condolence. They bring me around to hunt for delicious delicacies during lunch hours, chat with me during their free time, which is however rare, because most of the time they have to duck their heads into the office table, replying mails, almost instantaneously when they received them. Now tell me more about how the technology advancements had bring about improvement to people's life please. 

I'm so tired, despite not doing much everyday. Oh yes that's another thing I want to talk about. Work-life balance? Bullshits. I came home on the second day of work feeling really lost. As I dragged my body onto the sofa, my mind was in a blank and I have no idea what to do. Grab a book? I'm too tired. Play the keyboard? Too lazy. Go for a run? Too late. In addition I refused to use the computer or the television at night because I have had faced the computer for entire day at work, and also I find it really meaningless to soak in the soap drama series every night, even if I wasn't doing anything more productive neither. It's like you had a tiring day at work, when you get home at night when you finally have some time to yourself, you suddenly stunned because you don't know what to do, all I wanted to do was to sleep. And so I went. I let my precious private time passed, just like that. 

Following up the next day I was talking about how I couldn't adjust myself to the working life yet with my colleagues, and they actually felt the same way, despite after years of working. One of them actually tabulated the hours we spend working versus time of ourselves and the result is saddening. Work has taken up such a great part of life. To which I find it a irony that I'm working under the Family Development Group, which aims to foster family bonding and enhance family values, but it's only achieved by sacrificing their own personal time for the sake of organizing family day for others. And also it appears to me that such family day events is only eligible for the office workers, since most of the events will be held on Saturdays, meaning that the parents in service sectors will never be able to attend. What is this suppose to signify? That families in service sector don't even get to join such events? Aren't they the ones that needs to be focused more on since they couldn't even spend their weekends at home with their children. 

I guess this internship really makes me think deeper about life about balancing and about family. 
May my queries be answered slowly within this six months long of internship, and may it gives a clear direction on what course to apply for in the future, given that my results allows me to of cause. As of now, I'm forty minutes away from end of work for the day. :') Psk.  


Comments

Popular Posts