Little effort counts.

There I am trying to force out a smile on my pretty much tensed up face, before the start of my first blood donation experience. ;) Thankful for Jonathan for being there cause if not I would probably have chickened out. We humans fear what we don't know isn't it, I swear I was hell nervous before the transfusion started. Always pictured it as a frightening sight to witness blood flowing out from one's own body and you can't stop it. But well things went on beyond perfection, anesthesia injection was even less hurting than an ant bite, though I din't bear to witness the moment blood starts to transfuse out, Kind of turned my head 180 degree away from my arm. Though I did peek at it awhile later and I was pretty calm, amazingly. It ended within minutes, my veins din't burst and I did not faint. (So much for my worries beforehand HAHAHA.)

I'm really proud of myself for today and thankful for the courage to step out of my comfort zone, going for the extra miles to help the others and I've kept the promise I made to myself last year. Really wish that my little packet of blood won't just lie in hospital lab but to be transfused into someone else's body soon. ( Does that make us Blood-related then?! Lol trying to crack joke here... ;') ) Albeit the process is simple and safe, only 1.8% of Singapore residences are engaged in blood donation drives. Oh well I think it's understandable due to various perceptions people have with blood donation. People may perceive it as a painful process, vulnerable to infecting HIV,or fearing that it lower one's own immune system. Not forgetting another group of people whose body are unsuitable for blood donations despite their willingness. Well I was one of them, I remembered I was at Clarke Quay with my Np girls in sec 3 and a group of volunteer approached us regarding blood donation, I swear I was panicking and rejected the idea almost immediately in my mind. Oh well look how much things changed. Just so fortunate for today for having a healthy body that made it possible for the blood donation. Times like this it made me really reflect upon myself about the near perfect life I'm having right now, great friends I can talk to, good health that I can enjoy, someone to love and be loved, it's time we should pass down the love we receive from others and extend the happiness to everyone else :) 

FYI.Just some background information since we are on this, British Red Cross set up the first voluntary blood service in 1921, and such services were mainly catered to soldiers during the World wars.

Comments

Popular Posts